Repertoire, Technique, Improvisation and Analysis of the Main Exponents of Brazilian Piano
Type of Class:
Recorded and Live Zoom meetings with comments and discussion. All classes will be recorded and archived for those who could not participate live and for those wishing to review.
- Open to all pianists and keyboardists.
- Other interested musicians are welcome as well.
- Students should be able to read music and have basic command of the instrument.
- Limited to 25 participants per live class, unlimited via recording.
- Open to pianists and keyboardists at all levels.
- Classes will be flexible so that all will benefit.
Course Length & Frequency:
- Each class will meet weekly for 8 weeks
- Session length will be 75 to 90 minutes depending on activity and discussion
- All classes will be live and those live sessions will be recorded
- Week 1: Main elements of Brazilian Music.
- Week 2 (Bossa-Nova): Analysis, comping, accompanying piano.
- Week 3: Solo piano approach to Bossa-Nova.
- Week 4 (Samba): Adapting the percussion lines to the piano. Comping. Bass line.
- Week 5 (Samba & Partido-Alto): Solo piano on Samba. Partido Alto comping.
- Week 6 (Baião): The rhythms of the traditional Forró Trio on piano.
- Week 7: Solo piano on Baião. The uses of Lydian Dominant and Dorian scales.
- Week 8: Review and final questions.
- Cut time rhythm feel.
- 16th notes subdivision and groupings.
- Paradiddle technique.
- Original percussion lines from each style.
- Rhythms divided between the two hands (polyrhythm).
- The Standard Brazilian repertoire.
- Relevant comping patterns for each style.
- Scales with applied Brazilian rhythms.
- Accompanying piano, Brazilian combo, and Solo piano strategies.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students will listen and analyze the African percussion and rhythm concepts that are in the “roots” of Brazilian Music.
- Students will listen, analyze and discuss the music of the main Brazilian composers and piano players.
- Students will compose their own music in the various studied styles.
- Students will make piano arrangements applying the concepts of Brazilian rhythm and harmonic structures.
- Students will be encouraged to record themselves playing and send to me for comments.
Provided By The Instructor:
- Scores and lead sheets with examples and repertoire.
- Rhythmic and melodic exercises in pdf, with suggestions for an effective practicing.
- Suggestions of youtube videos as examples of the studied material.
- Backing tracks for selected songs. • Feedback on each assignment.