Type of Class:
Pre-recorded Zoom Sessions with comments and discussion.
Open to beginning and intermediate jazz piano students but must know basic piano skills.
Course Length & Frequency:
8 Pre-recorded Zoom Sessions:
- Lesson 1 – Circle of Fourths forming guide tones. All the Things you Are.
- Lesson 2 – ii V7 I guide tone voicings. All the Things Bassline. St. Louis Blues.
- Lesson 3 – Guide tone voicing review. All the Things soloing techniques. Stride piano.
- Lesson 4 – Chords through a new chart. Approaching Ballads.
- Lesson 5 – Four note rootless voicings. Playing in a band.
- Lesson 6 – Introducing minor ii V7 I voicings. Black Orpheus.
- Lesson 7 – Rhythm Changes.
- Lesson 8 – Review and final questions.
This jazz piano course is designed to accommodate both new students at the beginner/intermediate level as well as students from the first session. I will introduce and review basic guide tone chord formation and extensions, present techniques for approaching a new song in a solo piano format, and cover techniques for comping and soloing in the context of a small jazz ensemble. For returning students, we will focus on new repertoire to reinforce techniques from the first course but new students will have no problem following along. This course is for those who know how to play piano but who want to learn to interpret chord symbols, improvise, and learn other fundamentals of jazz piano performance.
You Will Receive:
- PDF handouts and links for exercises, progressions, transcriptions and more
- Links to YouTube for recommended recorded versions