Intermediate/Advanced Jazz Piano
Instructor: Gabe Evens
Type of Class:
- Live Zoom meetings with comments and discussion.
- All classes will be recorded and archived for those who could not participate live and for those wishing to review.
- Open to intermediate and advanced jazz piano students
- Participants should be able to find chord voicings and have some experience with improvisation over a set of chord changes
- Limited to 15 participants
- 8 weekly 75 minute sessions.
- Lesson 1 – Chord voicings: Conventional one and two-handed “rootless” voicings
- Lesson 2 – Drop 2 Chord Voicings in scales. Pianistic Balance.
- Lesson 3 – Quartal Chord Voicings. Stride Techniques.
- Lesson 4 – Melodic Minor Modes. Bebop solo vocabulary.
- Lesson 5 – Rhythm Changes. Playing brighter tempos.
- Lesson 6 – Reharmonization Techniques.
- Lesson 7 – Comping techniques: contrapuntal, rhythmic concepts, hand independence.
- Lesson 8 – Review.
This course is for those with a basic understanding of jazz piano concepts and application. Through the study of theory, exercises, and standard repertoire, students will expand upon their current knowledge of voicings, piano technique and orchestration, bebop vocabulary, reharmonization, and comping.
Students will have the option of receiving feedback on:
- Short recordings of their progress on the material
- Any questions about jazz and jazz piano
- Some students will have the option to play and receive comments during class
You will receive:
- PDF handouts and links for exercises, progressions, transcriptions and more
- Links to YouTube for recommended recorded versions