Intermediate/Advanced Jazz Piano
Every Tuesday starting July 6th
July 6 – August 24
Tuesdays: 7:00pm – 8:30pm EDT
Instructor: Gabe Evens
Type of Class:
- Live Zoom meetings with comments and discussion.
- All classes will be recorded and archived for those who could not participate live and for those wishing to review.
- Open to intermediate and advanced jazz piano students
- Participants should be able to find chord voicings and have some experience with improvisation over a set of chord changes
- Limited to 15 participants
8 weekly 75 minute sessions:
Lesson 1 – Chord voicings: Closed “rootless” voicings for major chords. Two ways to create a counter melody. Slow Practice.
Lesson 2 – Chord voicings: Closed “rootless” voicings for minor chords. Balance. Drop 2 Chord Voicings in scales.
Lesson 3 – Chord voicings: Closed “rootless” voicings for dominant chords. Stride Techniques.
Lesson 4 – Chord voicings: upper structure triad formation and application. Bebop solo vocabulary.
Lesson 5 – Playing brighter tempos. Rhythm Changes. Metronome techniques.
Lesson 6 – Chord voicings: opening up the closed voicings for comping in a band. Reharmonization Techniques.
Lesson 7 – Comping techniques: contrapuntal, rhythmic concepts, hand independence.
Lesson 8 – Review.
This course is for those with a basic understanding of jazz piano concepts and application. Through the study of theory, exercises, and standard repertoire, students will expand upon their current knowledge of voicings, piano technique and orchestration, bebop vocabulary, reharmonization, and comping.
Students will have the option of receiving feedback on:
- Short recordings of their progress on the material
- Any questions about jazz and jazz piano
- Some students will have the option to play and receive comments during class
You will receive:
- PDF handouts and links for exercises, progressions, transcriptions and more
- Links to YouTube for recommended recorded versions