Type of Class:
- All classes are professionally recorded.
- The course is directed to rhythm section instrumentalists, but open to anyone interested in deepening his or her knowledge in Brazilian music.
- Lesson 1 – Samba as we play in Brazil
- Lesson 2 – Partido Alto: all about syncopation
- Lesson 3 – Mixing Samba and Partido Alto: the secret to play Brazilian music
- Lesson 4 – Samba-Funk: the Brazilian swing with a backbeat
- Lesson 5 – Sambaião: Tricky and fun
- Lesson 6 – Sambajazz: where samba and jazz meet
- Lesson 7 – Samba percussion instruments: where the grooves come from
- Lesson 8 – Live concert and chat or Live Q&A session (minimum of 6 students enrolled on the entire course for the live concert)
You will receive:
- PDF handouts
- Student support (reach any instructor any time during the course)
- Charts of each lesson tune (concert, Bb, Eb and bass clef)
- Backing tracks of each lesson tune (all versions: no bass, no drums, no piano, no guitar, no melody)
- A list of tunes on each samba sub-genre in order to learn, play and have fun.
You might know that samba is a Brazilian musical genre and it is one of the most exciting music in the world. Okay! I agree with you! But you might not be aware that samba has several styles. You might not be aware that, beyond expanding your musical boundaries, learning and playing all the samba styles is as exciting as playing the samba itself.
The Samba and Beyond course is tailored to rhythm section players who are interested in taking a deep dive into Brazilian music. Students will explore samba sub-genres – samba, partido alto, samba-funk, sambajazz and sambaião, and be able to play them as Brazilian musicians play.
Through the analysis of the instructor’s performances on each samba and subgenre, you will learn how they approached each tune, the main patterns, variations and how to develop the Brazilian samba swing.